Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post Election Thoughts

I wanted to give a few of my post election thoughts. I think the thing that has saddened me the most about this year's election is the way that I have seen some people respond to the results. Tuesday night I was really disappointed as I saw some of the things my friends were putting up as their statuses on facebook. Here are just a few that I saw:

1. NAME is were all going to die because Obama will force us to marry into homosexuality

2. NAME isn't is weird how Obama and biden sounds ALOT lilke osama bin laddin?

3. Name is YES WE CAN!... let the antichrist lead us all to hell... (think im joking? read revalation).

There are definitely more, but I think these three prove my point. The negative statements continued to abound when I went to work the next day. As I saw the response of people who I know would call themselves Christians it left me wondering in what these individuals were placing their hope in.

As Christians, I believe, that we place our hope not in elected officials, but instead in Jesus Christ. John McCain or Barack Obama or George Bush or Hillary Clinton are not going to solve all of our problems. The way Jesus talked about the world changing is when individual Christians get off their butts and live out kingdom principles. It's not by electing people that agree with us. If we want change, we must be change.

A final caution I would give to anyone that wants to make statements of this nature is that they need to consider the words of Jesus. A pharisee came to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what is the greatest commandment?" Jesus responded by saying "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength." He went on to say that the second was like it "Love your neighbor as yourself."

When comments of this nature are made an individual is not loving their neighbor as their selves. We Christians would do well to take this advice. John said that the world would know we are Christians by our love, not our evil, hateful, bigoted comments.

This post is probably a day or two late though because it seems as though a lot of the election hype has slown down and most people no longer care. This probably says even more about our commitment to things, but I will save that for another time.

No comments: